[Updated Dec 26] — Aaeon announced a rugged, 20mm tall mini-PC with an Atom N2600 CPU, dual gigabit Ethernet ports, an mSATA bay, and CAN, serial, mini-HDMI, and USB ports.
The Linux-ready AEC-6402 is an upgrade — and in some ways a downgrade — from last year’s AEC-6401 embedded PC. They both run on a dual-core 1.6GHz, Intel Atom N2600 processor, and they have fairly similar I/O, ruggedization features, and dimensions.
AEC-6402 connectors, front and rear
(click image to enlarge)
The main difference is the addition of a second gigabit Ethernet port, but on the flip side the number of externally accessible USB 2.0 ports has been reduced from four to two. As before, you get a bank of four RJ-45 connectors, but instead of there being three RS-232/422/485 serial ports and one gigabit Ethernet, there are now two of each type. Other new features include an external 2-pin, CAN bus connector and an optional internal WiFi module.
More views of the AEC-6402
The AEC-6402 is encased in a slim 136 x 79.6 x 20mm enclosure, and can operate in environments ranging from -20°C up to 50°C with airflow, or up to 40°C if no airflow is provided. Vibration and shock resistance are the same as on the earlier model, and you once again get multiple mounting options.
Inside the AEC-6402
Summary of AEC-6402 specs
Specifications listed for the AEC-6402 include:
- Intel Atom N2600 SoC (3.5W TDP):
- CPU — 2x x86 cores @ 1.6GHz
- GPU — integrated 400MHz PowerVR SGX 545
- Chipset — Intel NM10
- Memory — 1x SODIMM socket, for up to 2GB DDR3 800/1066 SDRAM
- Storage — half-size mSATA port/bay for SSD or HDD
- 2x gigabit Ethernet on RJ-45 connectors
- Optional WiFi
- 2x USB 2.0 on type A connectors
- 2x USB 2.0 on pin-headers (internal)
- Other I/O:
- 2x RS-232/422/485 serial ports on RJ-45 connectors
- CAN bus on external 2-pin connector
- Vibration — 3g (SSD) or 1g (HDD) rms; 5-500Hz
- Shock — 50G (SSD) or 20G (HDD) peak; 11 mS duration
- Operating temperature — -20 to 40°C without airflow; -20 to 50°C with airflow
- Power — 12V DC
- Dimensions — 5.4 x 3.1 x 0.8 in. (136 x 79.6 x 20mm); VESA 75/100 mount, wall, and din-rail mount
- Operating system support — Ubuntu 12.04 and Fedora
Samples of AEC-6402 will be unveiled at Aaeon’s booths at ESEC in Tokyo, May 14–16 (Booth West 6-50), and at Computex in Taipei, June 3-7 (booth K0315a). More information may be found in the press release, AEC-6402 product page, and data sheet [PDF].