Gateworks announced a 7-inch touchscreen Android development kit, with a quad-core i.MX6 SoC, GbE, WiFi, BT, GPS, USB, serial I/O, and dual mini-PCIe slots.
The Gateworks “GW11036” Embedded Android Development Kit is aimed at easing the process of developing smart touchscreen-interfaced systems for use in a wide range of applications, including those requiring extended temperature operation. The kit builds on the company’s GW5224 single board computer, adding a 7-inch, 1024 x 600-pixel TFT display, capacitive touchscreen, wireless modules, and a customized, microSD-bootable, Android KitKat operating system.
Gateworks GW11036 Android touchscreen subsystem
(click image to enlarge)
The heart of the touchpanel subsystem is a Gateworks GW5224 single-board computer, which is a quad-core version of the GW5220 SBC that we reported on in April. The GW5224 is based on a 1GHz quad-core Freescale i.MX6 SoC along with 1GB of DDR3 DRAM and 2GB of flash memory. The board supports HDMI 1.4 and LVDS displays, and it also provides three composite analog video inputs, stereo analog audio I/O, as well as Gigabit Ethernet, USB 2.0 OTG, RS232 serial, GPIO, and CAN bus interfaces.
Gateworks GW5224 SBC (left) and its block diagram
(click images to enlarge)
In addition to the functions provided by the GW5224 SBC, the GW11036 dev kit subsystem adds radios for 802.11bgn, Bluetooth 4.0, HS Radio, and GPS, and a digital 6-axis accelerometer/magnetometer. The 184 x 127 x 38mm assembly’s LCD and touchscreen are framed with a black anodized bezel.
GW11036 subsystem details
(click image to enlarge)
The GW11036 dev kit is supplied fully integrated, and comes with a JTAG adapter and a [email protected] power supply. The kit can be adapted to OEM applications, with changes to display size, SBC model, memory, storage, and wireless options, as well as various mini-PCI options, such as a LTE/4G/3G CDMA/GSM cellular modem, says Gateworks.
The following specifications are listed for the GW11036 development kit:
- Functions provided via the integrated Gateworks GW5224 SBC:
- Processor — Freescale i.MX6 Quad Core SoC (4x Cortex-A9 cores @1GHz)
- Memory — 1GB DDR3-800 RAM
- 2GB on-board flash
- Micro-SD socket; comes with 8GB flash card (Class 10, UHS-1 rated)
- Networking — 1x Gigabit Ethernet
- Display interfaces:
- HDMI 1.4
- Digital 6-axis accelerometer/magnetometer
- GPS receiver with magnetic mount antenna
- USB 2.0 OTG port
- Other I/O:
- 3x composite video inputs
- Stereo analog audio in/out
- CAN bus
- 2x RS232 serial ports
- Master/slave SPI port
- Expansion — 2x Mini-PCIe sockets (one with PCIe signaling)
- Other features — battery-backed RTC, voltage/temperature monitor, watchdog timer
- Display panel:
- 7-inch TFT 1024 x 600 pixel LCD with LVDS interface
- LED backlight
- PCAP touchscreen
- Black anodized bezel
- Wireless — 802.11bgn + Bluetooth 4.0 + HS Radio; includes PCB-mount antenna
- Input voltage — 8 to 60 VDC via barrel Jack or 802.3af PoE Ethernet
- Consumption — 2W (typical)
- Operating temperature:
- Processor — -40 to 125°C
- Overall SBC — -40 to +85°C
- LCD panel — -20 to +70°C
- WiFi/BT radio — 0 to +60°C
- Dimensions — 184 x 127 x 38mm
- Operating system — Android KitKat (pre-loaded on microSD)
The Gateworks GW11036 Embedded Android Development Kit is available now, at an unstated price. Additional details may be found at the Gatworks website’s GW11036 page.