Aplex unveiled a fanless, Linux-ready, box PC based on a dual-core, 1.86GHz Atom D2550, with a slim, 29mm height and ruggedization features.
In the past, we have typically heard about Aplex Technology via U.K. distributor Datasound Laboratories (DSL), which has sold Aplex box PCs like the Atom N270-based ACS-2210 (pictured at right) and the Intel Core 2 Duo based ACS-2625. Aplex’s new “ACS-2160″ is another box PC, but the box has shrunk considerably, especially in height. The fanless, 246 x 140 x 29mm system is designed as a low-cost solution for space-constrained digital signage, kiosk, and ticketing applications.
ACS-2160 from two angles
(click images to enlarge)
In addition to providing mounting options including VESA, wall-mount, and din-rail, the aluminum-built ACS-2160 supports industrial use with ruggedization features. These include -20 to 60°C temperature resistance, 5G vibration and 50G shock resistance, and support for drops up to 92cm, says Aplex. These figures are said to be certified, but no ruggedization standards were listed. The ACS-2160 also provides wide-range 9 to 36VDC power, and runs on under 15 Watts, says the company.
The dual-core, 1.86GHz Intel Atom D2550 processor inside the ACS-2160 combines features from the earlier Atom D2500 and D2700, including a 10 Watt TDP. This 32nm “Cedar Trail” processor integrates 640MHz Intel graphics, but has a separate NM10 chipset. Aplex makes no claims about it, but the system should be able to provide 1920 x 1200 screen resolution and 1080p video. Other box PCs based on the D2550 include the Acnodes FES2215.
Front view of ACS-2160 (left) and VESA mounted on monitor
The ACS-2160 ships with 2GB DDR3/800 RAM, with an option to upgrade to 4GB. An SD slot and a half slim SATA bay provide up to 32GB and 64GB of storage, respectively, with both of these internal components said to be easily accessible. Two gigabit Ethernet ports are provided, along with dual USB 2.0 ports, and two serial DB-9 ports, including one with RS-232/422/485 support.
The box PC is further equipped with HDMI, VGA, and audio out ports, as well as a mini-PCIe slot with optional WiFi module. The device supports Linux (Fedora 14) as well as several Windows variants.
Specifications listed for the ACS-2160 include:
- Processor — Intel Atom D2550 (2x Cedar Trail cores @ 1.86GHz); 1MB L2 cache; 640MHz Intel graphics; Intel NM10 Express chipset
- Memory — 2GB DDR3 800MHz RAM, expandable to 4GB
- Storage — SD slot, up to 32GB; SATA 2 Half Slim (1.8-in.) HDD bay, up to 64GB
- Wireless — optional 802.11b/g/n via mini-PCIe; antenna hole
- Networking — 2x gigabit Ethernet ports
- Other I/O:
- 2x USB 2.0 ports
- RS-232 port
- RS-232/422/485 port
- HDMI port
- VGA port
- Audio line-out
- Expansion — Mini-PCIe half-size slot (internal)
- Other features — wall-mounting, with optional VESA 75×75/100×100 or din-rail mounting
- Power — 9 to 36VDC wide-ranging input; 3-pin DC input terminal; under 15W consumption at 12V
- Operating temperature — -20 to 60°C
- Ruggedization — 5G vibration, 50G shock resistance; support for 92cm drops
- Weight — 1.8 k
- Dimensions — 246 x 140 x 29mm
- Operating system — Linux (Fedora 14); Windows 32-bit XP Pro, Windows 7 32-bit, Windows CE 7.0
No pricing or availability information was supplied on the ACS-2160. More details may be found at the Aplex Technology ACS-2160 product page.