Boardcon’s Android-ready sandwich style SBC mixes a COM with a quad-core Exynos4412 SoC and a baseboard featuring optional displays and wireless modules.
Shenzhen, China based ODM Boardcon Embedded Design has managed to escape our attention, despite having been around since 2008. The company’s new “EM4412″ single-board computer is just one of numerous Linux- and Android-ready Boardcon SBCs and SBC-based ARM development kits based on Samsung processors. The company also offers a number of Samsung-based computer-on-modules.
The EM4412 is Boardcon’s most powerful SBC yet, as it features a Samsung Exynos4412 system-on-chip with four Cortex-A9 cores clocked to 1.6GHz. The SoC, which is paired with a Mali-400 GPU, also fuels Hardkernel’s Odroid-U3 among other SBCs and mobile devices.
The EM4412 is particularly well suited for point-of-sales (PoS), slot machines, and car-mounted systems, says Boardcon. Additional applications are said to include manufacturing process control, traffic management, printing system management, communication infrastructure, data gathering, and laboratory test equipment.
The Exynos4412 SoC resides on a separately available Mini4412 (A9) COM that also provides 2GB of DDR3 RAM and 4GB eMMC flash with pre-installed Android 4.0. The 65 x 47mm COM is further equipped with an 8-bit ITU 601/656 camera interface. The Mini4412 expresses its I/O via four connectors, totaling 202 pins, with one 40-pin connector and three 54-pin connectors. The COM accepts 5V and 3.3V input.
Mini4412 COM at an angle (left) and front and back
(click images to enlarge)
Beyond serving as a mounting platform for the Mini4412 COM, the 148 x 108mm EM4412 SBC’s baseboard adds signal buffering and real-world connectors for Fast Ethernet, two USB 2.0 host ports, and a USB OTG port. It also implements a microSD slot, a MIPI-CSI camera interface, an HDMI port, and a 24-bit RGB parallel LCD interface. For the latter, Boardcon offers options of 4.3-, 7-, or 10.1-inch resistive or capacitive touchscreens. Serial interfaces include a coastline RS-232 port and screw-terminal RS-485 and CAN interfaces.
EM4412 port detail
(click image to enlarge)
The EM4412 ships with a 3G SIM card slot, and offers optional 3G, GPS, WiFi, and Bluetooth modules. The baseboard also includes a voltage regulator that enables a wide input power range of 9-23VDC.
Specifications listed for the EM4412 SBC (baseboard + COM) include:
- Processor (via Mini4412 COM) — Samsung Exynos4412 (4x Cortex-A9 cores @ up to 1.6GHz); Mali-400 GPU
- Memory (via Mini4412 COM) — 2GB DDR3 RAM; 4GB eMMC flash
- Storage expansion — MicroSD slot (24-bit SDIO with boot option on CH2 which has 3.3V I/O)
- HDMI 1.4 port at up to 1080p, 30fps
- 24-bit RGB parallel LCD interface
- Optional 4.3-, 7-, or 10.1-inch resistive or capacitive touchscreen
- Camera interfaces:
- 8-bit ITU 601/656 camera interface, up to 8192 x 8192 (via Mini4412 COM)
- MIPI-CSI (slave) port
- Optional 2x camera interfaces
- Wireless — 3G SIM card slot; optional 3G, GPS, WiFi, and Bluetooth modules
- Networking — 10/100Mbps Ethernet port (on RJ45)
- 3x USB — 1x USB 2.0 OTG; 2x USB 2.0 hosts
- 4x UARTs — RS-232 (on DB9); RS-485 (on screw terminals); CAN bus (on screw terminals); other (on 4-pin header)
- Other I/O — audio I/O; 6x I2C; 2x HS-SPI; 14×8 matrix keypad; HSIC; optional TSI
- Other features — RTC (ext. battery); reset button; user buttons; speaker; boot switch
- Power — 9-23V DC input
- Dimensions — 148 x 108mm (Mini4412 COM measures 65 x 47mm)
- Operating system — Android 4.0 preinstalled (based on Linux 3.1.15