AIS has launched a 7-inch, WSVGA multitouch panel PC that runs Android or Linux on TI’s Sitara AM3354 SoC, and offers a camera and PoE support.
Touchpanel PCs have come a long way since American Industrial Systems (AIS) launched a 7-inch IPW07I93S-A2 model back in 2010 (pictured below-right). Several generations later, the new IPW07TA3S-M1-PoE-PCT has a similar 7-inch screen, but arrives with higher 1024 x 600-pixel WSVGA resolution, and jumps from resistive to multitouch Projective Capacitive Touch (PCT) technology.
2010’s AIS IPW07193S-A2
Instead of a 1GHz Atom Z510 and a resulting device power requirement of 15 Watts, the new model is built around an ARM Cortex-A8 based Texas Instruments Sitara AM3354 that drops down to 720MHz but runs on only 2 Watts. AIS does not list overall power consumption, but the system is sufficiently efficient to obtain its operating energy from Power-over-Ethernet (PoE).
(click image to enlarge)
The new model adds Android 4.1 to its mix of preloaded OS options, in addition to Windows Embedded Compact 7, and a Linux stack that includes Qt 4.7 and an optimized port of the Webkit browser. Android has recently begun finding its way onto touchpanels, but is still something of a rarity. Last year, Adlink announced an Android-ready, 7-inch SP-7W61 touchpanel that runs on a faster TI Sitara AM3715.
The IPW07TA3S-M1-PoE-PCT is ideal for use as a conference room scheduling touchpanel, says AIS. The device is also said to be suitable for various HMI, Machine to Machine (M2M), and Internet of Things applications in industrial, home, and building settings.
IPW07TA3S-M1-PoE-PCT port detail
(click image to enlarge)
The new touchpanel ships with 512MB DDR2 SDRAM and 1GB of flash, and offers a microSD slot. A gigabit Ethernet port is provided along with a pair of USB 2.0 ports, and a RS232/422/485 port that can be swapped out for optional DIDO interfaces.
The 7-inch WSVGA touchscreen provides 225 nits brightness and a 700:1 contrast ratio, and is topped by a 2-megapixel camera. The front panel resists liquid and dust contaminants with NEMA 4 IP65 protection, and offers a flat, bezel-free surface, making it easier to clean, says AIS.
Specifications listed for the IPW07TA3S-M1-PoE-PCT include:
- Processor — TI Sitara AM3354 (1x Cortex-A8 core @ 720MHz) with DSP and 3D graphics acceleration
- 512MB DDR2 SDRAM (533MHz)
- 1GB 8-bit NAND flash
- MicroSD slot (internal)
- 7-inch, 1024 x 600 projective capacitive touchscreen
- 150° horiz./145° vert. viewing angle
- 16:10 aspect ratio, 700:1 contrast ratio
- 225 nits brightness
- Optional non-touch, 250-nit LCD panel
- NEMA4 IP65 ingress protection
- Camera — 2-megapixel front-facing with mic
- Networking — Gigabit Ethernet port
- Other I/O:
- 2x USB 2.0
- Optional DIDO (2x in, 2x out) instead of RS232/422/485
- Other features — 75 x 75mm VESA mount
- Power — 12V DC 3-pin terminal block (Phoenix type); PoE-ready with optional power adapter); optional 12V DC supply
- Operating temperature — 0 to 50°C (32 to 122°F)
- Dimensions — 189 x 145 x 32mm
- Operating system — Preloaded images for Android 4.1.2, Linux with Qt 4.7.3 and Webkit, and Windows Embedded Compact 7; also supports several real-time operating systems
No pricing or availability information was provided for the new AIS touchpanel. More information may be found at the AIS website’s IPW07TA3S-M1-PoE-PCT product page.