Kontron’s Linux-ready COM Express Compact Type 6 modules for the Atom E3800 come in standard and rugged versions, both with industrial temperature support.
Like most major embedded vendors, Kontron has gone big on the Intel Atom E3800 (Bay Trail-I), having announced a COM Express Mini Type 10 computer-on-module (COM) called the COMe-mBT10 back in November. More recently, the German embedded firm also unveiled the world’s first Atom E3800 based SMARC COM with its SMARC-sXBTi, as well as Pico-ITX and compact Mini-ITX SBCs based on the same 22nm Bay Trail-I SoC family. Now it is pairing the Atom E3800 with the 95 x 95mm COM Express Compact Type 6 form factor, a combination also found in the Portwell PCOM-B632VG and Congatec Conga-TCA3 COMs.
Kontron COMe-cBT6 (left) and COMe-cBTi6R
(click images to enlarge)
Kontron is offering a standard “COMe-cBT6” version with optional industrial temperature (-40 to 85°C) support, and a ruggedized “COMe-cBTi6R” model offering standard industrial temperature support and soldered RAM. In addition, the COMe-cBTi6R provides optional ECC RAM, in which case the case the capacity tops out at 4GB instead of 8GB.
The COMe-cBTi6R lacks the COMe-cBT6’s support for Intel’s Celeron J1900 (Bay Trail-D), as well as the Celeron N2920 and similar new N2930 (Bay Trail-M) SoCs. (See our Conga-MA3 coverage for more on the N2930.) The COMe-cBT6 also supports a new Celeron N2807 Bay Trail SoC that was announced a month ago. The N2807 is equipped with dual 1.58GHz cores, and features a low 4.5 Watt TDP, according to Kontron, and 4.3 Watts, according to Intel. Like the new Celeron N2930, the SoC supports Intel’s new Quick Sync and Secure Key technologies.
The two Kontron modules also offer a few other minor differences as noted in the spec sheet below. Only the COMe-cBTi6R, for example, offers a Rapid Shutdown feature to “minimize the risk of system or data tampering,” says Kontron.
Block diagrams for the COMe-cBT6 (left) and COMe-cBTi6R
(click images to enlarge)
Both models provide an onboard, eMMC solid state drive up to 64GB, as well as an optional microSD slot. A gigabit Ethernet controller is also onboard.
The COMe-cBT6 and COMe-cBTi6R both offer dual display support, with dual-channel, 18/24-bit LVDS and a pair of DisplayPort++ connections that give you a choice of DP, HDMI, and DVI interfaces. Additional I/O includes dual SATA 3Gb/s interfaces, a USB 3.0 port, and seven USB 2.0 ports, one of which can be used as an OTG port on the COMe-cBTi6R model. Four PCI-Express x1 lanes are also available along with a wide 4.75-20V power range, says Kontron.
Specifications listed for the Kontron COMe-cBT6 and COMe-cBTi6R include:
- Processor — Intel Atom E3800 (Bay Trail-I), Intel HD Graphics or Celeron N2920.J1900 (COMe-cBT6 only):
- E3845 (4x cores @ 1.91GHz), 10W TDP
- E3827 (2x cores @ 1.75GHz), 8W TDP
- E3826 (2x cores @ 1.46GHz), 7W TDP
- E3825 (2x cores @ 1.33GHz), 6W TDP
- E3815 (1x cores @ 1.46GHz), 5W TDP
- Celeron N2920 (4x cores @ 1.86GHz, 7.5W TDP (COMe-cBT6 only)
- Celeron J1900 (4x cores @ 2.0GHz, 10W TDP (COMe-cBT6 only)
- Celeron N2930 (4x cores @ 1.83GHz, 7.5W TDP (COMe-cBT6 only)
- Celeron N2807 (2x cores @ 1.58GHz, 4.5W TDP (COMe-cBT6 only)
- COMe-cBT6 — 2x SODIMM for up to 8GB DDR3L-1066/1333 RAM
- COMe-cBTi6R — soldered RAM, up to 8GB DDR3L-1066/1333 RAM, or up to 4GB with ECC
- Up to 64GB eMMC SSD (2-32GB SLC, 4-64GB MLC)
- 2x SATA 2.0 3Gbps interfaces
- SDIO interface
- Optional microSD slot for WiFi shared with GPIO
- 2x DisplayPort++ (DP/HDMI/DVI, 1x muxed with LVDS) up to 2560 x 1600 @ 60Hz
- Dual-channel 18/24-bit LVDS at up to 1920 x 1200 with DP-to-LVDS
- VGA interface
- Dual display support
- Gigabit Ethernet — Intel I210IT or I2111AT on COMe-cBT6; optional Intel I210IT on COMe-cBTi6R
- Other I/O:
- USB 3.0
- 8x USB 2.0 (1x OTG on COMe-cBTi6R)
- USB hub (optional on COMe-cBTi6R)
- 2x serial (RX/TX only)
- Fast I2C
- LPC, SMB, SPI, MARS
- HD audio
- PCIe expansion:
- COMe-cBT6 — 3x PCIe 2.0 x1 (optional 4x PCIe 2.0 x1 without GbE port)
- COMe-cBTi6R — 4x PCIe 2.0 x1 (optional 3x PCIe 2.0 x1 with onboard PCIe-based GbE port)
- Other features — Watchdog; PICMG EAPI/KEAPI3 support
- Other optional features — AES-NI; FSP + Coreboot; Rapid Shutdown (COMe-cBTi6R only); TPM 1.2 (COMe-cBT6 only)
- Operating temperature:
- COMe-cBT6 — 0 to 60°C (commercial) or -40 to 85°C (industrial)
- COMe-cBTi6R — -40 to 85°C (industrial)
- Power — 4.75-20V wide range; ACPI 3.0; RTC; S5 Eco, smart battery support
- Dimensions — 95 x 95mm (COM Express Compact Type 6)
- Operating system — Linux; Windows 7/8/WEC7/WES7; VxWorks