Aaeon announced a rugged, 10.1-inch tablet running Android 4.0 on a Tegra 2 SoC, and featuring IP65 ingress protection and industrial temperature operation.
The Aaeon “RTC-900R” rugged tablet is designed for service workforces in applications including field service, law enforcement, defense, public sector, utilities, logistics, healthcare, restaurants, and retail management, says Aaeon. The tablet’s 2.4-pound heft 1-inch profile may be plus-size by commercial Android tablet standards, but the device is thinner and lighter than typical field service tablets, says the company.
The main draw here is ruggedization, starting with an operating temperature range of -20 to 60°C, according to the tablet’s data sheet. The device is also protected by Gorilla Glass and IP65 water and dust protection. MIL-STD-810G compliant shock, vibration, and drop protection are also provided, including resistance to edge drops under four feet (see feature table below).
Aaeon’s RTC-900R rugged Android tablet
(click images to enlarge)
The RTC-900R runs Android 4.0 (“Ice Cream Sandwich”) on a dual-core, 1GHz Nvidia Tegra 2 system-on-chip, which despite being three Nvidia generations behind, is still fairly powerful compared to the processors we often see on rugged tablets. The Tegra 2 is backed up by 1GB of DDR2 RAM, 16GB of eMMC flash, and a microSD slot for expansion.
The 10.1-inch capacitive touchscreen offers fairly modest 1280 x 800 WXGA resolution, but is touted for its 350 cd/m2 luminance and 170° viewing angles. WiFi and Bluetooth 2.1 are available along with a SIM slot and an optional 3G modem. You also get GPS and a variety of sensors.
Detail views of the RTC-900R
(click images to enlarge)
The RTC-900R is further equipped with 5- and 1.2-megapixel cameras, as well as a mini-HDMI port, a mini-USB port, and an audio jack. A hefty 7600mAh battery provides up to 12 hour operation, claims Aaeon. There are no details on what, if any, Android applications are bundled with the ICS build, suggesting the tablet is aimed primarily at OEMs and system integrators rather than end-users.
Specifications listed for the Aaeon RTC-900R include:
- Processor Nvidia Tegra 2 (2x Cortex-A9 cores @ 1GHz)
- 1GB LP DDR2
- 16GB eMMC flash
- MicroSD slot
- 10.1-inch, 1280 x 800 capacitive touchscreen
- 16:10 aspect ratio
- 170°/170° viewing angles
- 350 cd/m2 luminance
- Anti-scratch Gorilla Glass
- Bluetooth 2.1+ EDR
- SIM card slot with optional 3G modem
- Light sensor
- 3-axis gyroscope
- Cameras — 5-megapixel rear-facing; 1.2-megapixel front-facing
- Other I/O:
- Mini-HDMI port
- Mini-USB port
- 3.5mm stereo headphone jack
- Other — Speakers; mic; vibrator motor
- AC input (100V-240V, 50Hz-60Hz)
- 24W DC output (12V/4.17A)
- 7600mAh Li-Polymer battery with 12 hour life
- Operating temperature — -20 to 60°C
- Vibration (operating) — ASTM 4169-99 Truck Assurance Level II, Schedule E
- Vibration (non-operating) — MIL-STD 810G-514.6, Proc. I Cat. 24, Fig. 514.6E-1 & 514.6E-2
- Water and dust ingress — IP65 compliant
- Drop — 26 drops at 48 inches height to 2-inch plywood over concrete with unit off MIL-STD 810G-516.6, Proc. IV
- Edge drop — up to four feet (1.2 M)
- Weight — 1.1 kg (2.4 lb)
- Dimensions — 270.4 x 188.4 x 24.3mm (10.7 x 7.4 1.0 in.)
- Operating system — Android 4.0
No pricing or availability information was provided for the Aaeon RTC-900R tablet. More information may be found at the company’s RTC-900R product page.