Ugoos launched a $179 “UT3S” TV-PC that dual boots Android 4.4 and Ubuntu 14.10 on a 1.8GHz quad-core Cortex-A17 Rockchip RK3288, and supports 4Kx2K video.
Finding a media player or mini-PC that runs Android is easy, but finding one that ships with other species of Linux pre-installed is a bit trickier. Now Ugoos has released a TV-focused Ugoos UT3S mini-PC that can run either Android 4.4 or Ubuntu 14.10 in dual-boot mode.
Whereas Ugoos’s earlier Android-based UM2 stick-PC and UT2 mini-PC used the quad-core, Cortex-A9 Rockchip RK3188 SoC clocked to 1.6GHz, the UT3S moves up to the quad-core, Cortex-A17 RK3288 at 1.8GHz. The RK3288, which ships with ARM’s Mali-T764 GPU, is also found in new Android media players including the Tronsmart Orion R28.
Ugoos UT3S and its remote
(click image to enlarge)
Reasons to use Ubuntu instead of Android include running the Kodi (XBMC) media stack, which tends to perform better on Ubuntu than Android. However, as noted by the Liliputing story that alerted us to the appearance of the Ugoos UT3S on Geekbuying, “Linux graphics drivers for this chipset are a work in progress.” Aside from Android, Ubuntu is the most commonly found Linux OS on mini-PCs, as seen in this recent Linux.com slide show highlighting recent Linux mini-PCs.
The Ugoos UT3S ships with 4GB of RAM, 32GB NAND flash, and a microSD slot for an additional 32GB of user supplied storage. For networking, there’s a gigabit Ethernet port, along with WiFi-ac, Bluetooth 4.0, and an antenna.
Ugoos UT3S detail views
(click images to enlarge)
An HDMI 2.0 port delivers up to 4Kx2K resolution with H265 hardware decoding, and Ugoos also packs in an S/PDIF port for audio output and four USB ports. The 120 x 114 x 20mm device also ships with a remote control.
(click to enlarge)
Specifications listed by Ugoos for the UT3S mini-PC include:
- Processor — Rockchip RK3288 (4x Cortex-A17 cores @ 1.8GHz) with 533MHz Mali-T764 GPU
- 4GB RAM (optional 1/2GB)
- 32GB NAND flash (optional 8/16/64GB)
- MicroSD slot (supports up to 32GB)
- Wireless — 2.4/5GHz dual-band 802.11 b/g/n/ac; external antenna (supplied); Bluetooth 4.0
- Networking — 10/100/1000 Ethernet port
- Other I/O:
- HDMI 2.0 with audio, [email protected], 4Kx2K (3840×2160), H265 hardware decoding up to 60Mbps
- S/PDIF out
- 4x USB ports
- Other features — Remote control (IR)
- Power — DC 5V 3A with AC adapter
- Operating temperature — -10 to 40°C
- Weight — 171 g
- Dimensions (measured) — 120 x 114 x 20mm
- Operating system — Android 4.4 and Ubuntu 14.10 dual boot; supports DLNA and WIMO protocols
UT3S kit contents
(click images to enlarge)