MEN Mikro announced a compact, rugged single-board computer based on Intel’s 1.6GHz Atom E600-series embedded processors. The Linux-friendly SC27 SBC is aimed at driver displays and in-seat infotainment systems in trains, buses, and airplanes, where wide-temperature operation and resistance to shock, vibration, and dust are critical.
The SC27′s compact size (6.3 x 4.3 inches) makes it well matched for use with TFT LCD panels as small as 7-inches, says Men Mikro. The board works with up to 15-inch displays, and supports resolutions as high as 1280 x 678 pixels. It consumes 5 to 7 Watts, operates over an extended temperature range of -40 to +85° C, and was designed for ease of conformal coating.
MEN Mikro’s SC27 SBC targets rugged intelligent displays
The SC27 is based on a choice of Intel Atom E600-series processors, clocked up to 1.6GHz, and accommodates up to 2GB soldered-on SDRAM. Standard onboard I/O includes 10/100Mbps Ethernet, two USB ports, an RS232 or RS422/485 serial port, and a built-in GPS receiver.
SC27 SBC photo and block diagram
(click images to enlarge)
The SC27 includes a range of expansion interfaces, including slots for mSATA, microSD, microSIM cards, and PCIe MiniCards. It also has two locations for optional addition of MEN Mikro’s proprietary-format SA-Adapter modules, which support functions such as additional UARTs or a CAN bus interface. In particular, the board’s PCIe MiniCard socket accommodates add-ons for WIFI, WIMAX, GSM/GPRS, UMTS, HSDPA, and LTE, and is paired with a microSIM card slot for use with cellular network modules.
Key SC27 SBC specifications, as listed by MEN Mikro, include:
- Processor — Intel Atom E600 series, up to 1.6 GHz
- Chipset — Intel EG20T Platform Controller Hub
- RAM — up to 2GB DDR2 SDRAM (soldered)
- Graphics controller — integrated within the Intel Atom E600
- LVDS single-channel interface
- Up to 1280×768 @ 60 Hz
- 2x USB 2.0/1.1
- 1x OHCI (USB1.1) and EHCI (USB2.0)
- Ethernet — 1x 10/100Base-T with optional PoE
- Serial — 1x RS232 (standard) or RS422/RS485 (option)
- 1x digital input line
- 48-channel GPS (SiRF IV; connected via UART)
- Voltage and temperature sensors
- LCD backlight control
- RTC and watchdog timer
- Expansion interfaces:
- mSATA slot — supports SATA 2.x up to 3Gbit/s
- microSD slot (via USB)
- microSIM slot
- PCIe MiniCard socket
- 2x SA-Adapter slots
- Dimensions — 6.30 x 4.33 x 1.73 inches (160 x 110 x 44mm)
- Power input
- +24 VDC/+36 VDC nom. (10..50.4 V), 10.8 W typ
- +110 VDC nom. (66..154 V), 10.8 W typ (optional)
- +48 VDC nom. (37..57 V), 10.8 W typ (optional via PoE)
- -40 to +85°C operating temperature (req. conduction cooling)
- EN 50155 compliant (railways)
- Prepared for e1 certification (automotive)
- BIOS — Insyde H2O UEFI Framework
- Operating systems — Linux; Windows
The SC27 is available now, although pricing is not listed on MEN Mikro’s website. Further details are available on the MEN Mikro SC27 product page.