Magellan unveiled an Android-based navigation tablet for RVs with a 7-inch, 800 x 480 touchscreen, WiFi and Bluetooth, and real-time traffic updates.
The RoadMate RV9490T-LMB appears to be Magellan’s first Android-based automotive GPS, and it’s specifically aimed at recreational vehicle owners. Magellan still uses Windows Mobile in many of its navigation devices.
Magellan RoadMate RV9490T-LMB
(click image to enlarge)
The 7-inch, dashboard mountable RoadMate RV9490T-LMB tablet starts at $380. The after-market device combines Magellan’s real-time smartphone- and cloud-connected navigation platform with additional RV-friendly functions. Yet, it can switch from RV mode to car mode when you’re not in the mood for a gas-guzzling, lane straddling behemoth.
The Magellan RoadMate RV9490T-LMB runs Android on an unnamed Cortex-A9 processor. No RAM stats were mentioned, but the device is said to include 4GB of flash storage plus a microSD slot. The 7-inch, 800 x 480 capacitive touchscreen is augmented with a speaker and microphone. WiFi and Bluetooth is built in, letting you pair Android and iOS smartphones, both of which are supported with Magellan apps.
The tablet’s GPS offers 3-5 meter accuracy and geotag navigation, says Magellan. Other features include a micro-USB port, an audio jack and an “A/V input.”
Bottom and rear views of RoadMate RV9490T-LMB
(click images to enlarge)
RV-specific features include customizable RV routes based on vehicle type, dimensions, and driving preferences, helping you avoid low and narrow bridges and unpaved roads. There are also RV-specific Points of Interest (POIs), including:
- Good Sam RV travel guide and campground directory
- Sani-Dump station POIs
- Walmart location POIs
- Fuel station POIs with price and brand preference prioritization
The Magellan RoadMate RV9490T-LMB device also includes the latest, cloud-updated Magellan features like turn-by-turn directions, a dedicated virtual dashboard, driving alerts, Yelp integration, and real-time weather overlays. There’s also support for backup assist displays, lane assists, and more (see spec list for a longer list). Maps are updated via WiFi or via a smartphone Bluetooth connection when no WiFi connection is available.
Specifications listed for the Magellan RoadMate RV9490T-LMB include:
- Processor — ARM Cortex-A9
- Storage — 4GB flash; microSD slot
- Display — 7-inch, 800 x 480 capacitive touchscreen
- GPS — High-sensitivity GPS with 3-5 meter accuracy; multidirectional patch antenna
- Wireless — WiFi; Bluetooth
- Other I/O — Micro-USB 2.0 port; stereo audio jack; A/V input
- Other hardware features — Mic; speakers
- Navigation features (partial):
- Preloaded maps of U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico
- Turn-by-turn, multi-destination routing
- 9 million POIs, with branded POIs and POIs along route
- Lifetime traffic alerts and map updates
- Highway lane assist support
- Favorites, bookmarks
- City search, detour and speed limit support, pedestrian mode
- Yelp integration
- Landmark guidance
- Real-time weather map with graphic overlays
- Gas prices, traffic camera alert, grade and elevation stats
- Good Sam/Trailer Life Directory
- RV/truck route guide, dump station support
- Operating temperature — -10 to 70°C (14 to 158°F)
- Battery — 1100mAh Li-Ion with 30-minute duration
- Weight — 363 g (0.8 lbs)
- Dimensions — 194 x 120 x 15mm (7.6 x 4.7 x 0.6 in.)
- Operating system — Android
The Magellan RoadMate RV9490T-LMB is available for $380 (MSRP) at online and brick-and-mortar locations including Camping World and Amazon.com. More information may be found at the RoadMate RV9490T-LMB product page.