Cogent announced the CSB1890T10-Q15, a tiny (84 x 55mm) COM Express Type 10 Mini module with a 1.5GHz, quad-core AMD GX-415GA SoC, featuring PCI Express, SATA, and USB 3.0.
Cogent Computer Systems offers a number of Atmel- and Marvell-based ARM computer-on-modules, and has now introduced a x86-based COM Express Type 10 module built around the AMD GX-415GA. This is the slower of AMD’s two quad-core, 64-bit G-Series SoCs at 1.5GHz, but offers the advantage of a much lower 15 Watt TDP. Other recent COMs built around the SoC include MSC Embedded’s C6C-GX COM Express Type 6 module.
CSB1890T10-Q15, top (left) and bottom
(click images to enlarge)
The GX-415GA SoC is equipped with a 500Mhz Radeon 8330E GPU capable of dual 1080p decode and OpenGL 4.2 and OpenCL 1.2 support, among other benefits (see spec list farther below). Dual simultaneous HDMI and DisplayPort displays are supported, along with LVDS or an eDP interface. Digital signage is one of the recommended targets, in addition to various industrial, military, and medical applications.
The CSB1890T10-Q15 module ships with 4GB of DDR3 1600MHz SDRAM and 8MB of SPI NOR flash. A gigabit Ethernet controller is available along with dual SATA controllers and dual PCI Express interfaces. Additional I/O includes 10 USB ports (two of them 3.0), and various serial interfaces.
CSB1890T10-Q15 block diagram
(click image to enlarge)
The CSB1890T10-Q15 offers a wide 8V to 18V input range, and despite the SoC’s 15W TDP, Cogent claims the module typically runs at 10 Watts. Both commercial and industrial operating temperature versions are available.
Specifications listed for the standard model CSB1890T10-Q15-4G computer-on-module include:
- AMD GX-415GA (4x 64-bit “Jaguar” x86 cores @ 1.5GHz Quad)
- 500Mhz Radeon 8330E GPU
- 2MB L2 cache
- InsydeH2O UEFI BIOS
- Memory — 4GB DDR3-1600 SDRAM with 8-Bit ECC; 8MB SPI NOR flash
- DisplayPort 1.2
- eDP or LVDS
- Dual simultaneous display
- OpenGL 4.2, OpenCL 1.2
- UVD Engine 4.2 supporting Direct X11.1
- Dual HD video decode and dual stream (1080p and 1080i)
- VCE 2.0 video encode, supporting H.264
- Networking — 10/100/1000 Ethernet
- Other I/O (via COM Express Type 10 connectors):
- 2x SATA Gen 3 controllers (1.5/3.0/6.0Gbit/sec)
- 2x USB 3.0 host
- 8x USB 2.0 host
- SD (4-bit supporting SDXC up to 2TB), UHS-I (104Mb/sec) and SDIO
- 2x I2C
- 2-wire TTL UART
- PCI-Express x4 Gen. 2
- 2x PCI-Express x1 Gen. 2
- Power — 8V to 18V input; 10W typ. consumption, 15W max., < 100mw standby
- Operating temperature — 0 to 70°C; optional -40 to 85°C (@ 1.2GHz)
- Dimensions — 84 x 55 x 8mm (COM Express Type 10, r2.1)
- Operating system — Linux; Windows 7/8; Windows Embedded; VxWorks
The specs above list the CPU and RAM for the default model CSB1890T10-Q15-4G COM. The following alternate models are also offered, based on minimum orders of 100 units, says Cogent:
- CSB1890T10-Q20-4G — 2GHz Quad Core GX420CA (25W TDP); 4GB DDR3-1600
- CSB1890T10-D17-2G — 1.65Ghz Dual Core GX217GA (15W TDP; 2GB DDR3-1600
- CSB1890T10-D10-2G — 1Ghz Dual Core GX210JA, (9W TDP); 2GB DDR3-1333
The CSB1890T10-Q15 is available as part of a development kit that includes Cogent’s CSB1802MITX Mini-ITX form factor carrier board. The CSB1802MITX is equipped with coastline ports including a gigabit Ethernet port, dual USB 3.0 ports, dual USB 2.0 ports, an HDMI port, and audio I/O. There’s also a Mini-USB port that acts as a COM port.
CSB1802MITX Mini-ITX carrier board block diagram
(click image to enlarge)
The CSB1802MITX features onboard interfaces including dual Mini-PCIe sockets, and dual, powered 22-Pin SATA connectors. Other headers and connectors include USB, LVDS, and LPC debug.
No availability information was provided for the CSB1890T10-Q15 module, but Cogent does offer some pricing information. The module will be available at $329 in volumes of at least 1,000, but low-volume pricing has yet to be decided. Additionally, several alternate models are available based on minimum order quantities of 100. The full development kit with the module and CSB1802MITX Mini-ITX carrier board costs $999. More on the module may be found at Cogent’s CSB1890T10-Q15 product page, and more on the Mini-ITX board may be found in Cogent’s CSB1802MITX datasheet [PDF].