Avalue’s 3.5-inch ECM-KA board expands upon the AMD G-Series SoC with Linux support, up to 8GB of DDR3 RAM, plus CF, SATA, and Mini-PCIe expansion.
With its 28nm fabricated Embedded G-Series SoCs, AMD has had a half year jump on Intel and its 28nm Atom E3800 (“Bay Trail-I”) processors. Despite an edge for Intel on power consumption, AMD continues to show off new embedded design wins. The numerous G-Series SoC modules and single board computers (SBCs) that have popped up recently include the recent Cogent CSB1890T10-Q15 COM Express module.
(click image to enlarge)
With its ECM-KA, Avalue is presenting AMD’s first true system-on-chip in the 3.5-inch form-factor, a pairing also adopted by Win Enterprises for its MB-60830 and Habey for its EMB-3700. Like both these boards and other so-called 3.5-inch SBCs, the ECM-KA actually measures 5.75 x 4.0 inches (146 x 101mm), matching the size of 3.5-inch HDDs.
The ECM-KA is designed for industrial controls and automation, gaming, thin clients, retail/ digital signage, SMB storage server, surveillance, medical, communication, entertainment, and data acquisition applications, says Avalue. The signage applications are supported with the G-Series SoC’s amped up Radeon HD 8000 graphics, which among other things provides for dual display capability at 1080p resolutions.
The ECM-KA supports up to 8GB DDR3 RAM, twice the maximum allotment on the Win Enterprises and Habey 3.5-inch SBCs. Storage options include two onboard SATA 3 connectors and a CompactFlash socket, supporting up to 8GB of storage.
ECM-KA port detail
(click image to enlarge)
Real-world coastline I/O includes dual gigabit Ethernet, VGA and HDMI, and two USB 3.0 ports. There’s also a COM 1 port, which is either the listed RS-232 port or RS-232/422/485 port. Onboard interfaces include six USB 2.0, PS/2, audio I/O, LVDS, and GPIO. A Mini-PCI-Express slot is available on the back of the board.
Specifications listed for the ECM-KA include:
- Processor — AMD G-Series GX-415GA SoC (4x Jaguar cores @1.5GHz, 15W TDP); optional dual-core, 1.6GHz GX-217GA (15W) or 1GHz GX-210HA (9W); AMD Radeon HD 8000 GPU
- RAM — up to 8GB DDR3 1600MHz via 204-pin SODIMM
- HDMI — up to 1920 x 1200
- VGA — up to 1920 x 1080
- LVDS — dual-channel 18/24-bit interface
- Dual independent display support — CRT + LVDS, HDMI + LVDS, or CRT + HDMI
- Storage — 2x 6Gb/s SATA interfaces; CF Type I/II socket (up to 8GB, supports InnoDisk CF-SATA)
- Networking — 2x gigabit Ethernet (Realtek RTL8111E)
- Other I/O:
- 2x USB 3.0
- 6x USB 2.0 (headers)
- Audio line-in/out, mic-in (Realtek ALC892)
- 8-Bit GPIO
- PS/2 keyboard/mouse interface
- Expansion — Mini-PCIe socket with mSATA support
- Other features — watchdog timer; HW monitoring
- Dimensions — 146 x 102mm (5.75 x 4 inches); “3.5-inch form-factor”
- Power — 12V ~ 26V range; AT/ATX; ACPI 3.0
- Operating temperature — 0 to 60°C
- Operating system — Linux; Windows 7/8
No pricing or availability information was supplied by Avalue for the ECM-KA. More information may be found at the ECM-KA product page.