The Linux Foundation released its 2017 schedule, including an Embedded Linux Conference in Portland on Feb. 21-23 that needs proposal ideas by Dec. 10.
This year, Linux Foundation events attracted over 20,000 “developers, maintainers, sysadmins, thought leaders, business executives and other industry professionals from more than 4,000 organizations across 85 countries,” and 25,000 are expected in 2017, says the not-for-profit Linux advocacy organization. In truth, the LF is now more of an open source advocacy organization as it spreads into non-Linux projects like Zephyr. Fittingly, the co-located LinuxCon + ContainerCon + CloudOpen events in Japan, North America and Europe have this year combined into new umbrella events called Open Source Summits.
The North American Open Source Summit will be held Sep. 11-13 in Los Angeles. Along with the European version, held this year in Prague on Oct. 23-25, it will include a new Community Leadership Conference. The Embedded Linux Conference Europe event will run in Prague at the same time.
Tim Bird (left) chats with Greg Kroah-Hartman at ELC Europe 2016
(click image to enlarge)
The call for proposals (CFP) deadline for the Embedded Linux Conference North America event, to be held Feb. 21-23 in Portland, Oreg., Is coming up soon: Dec. 10. Send your ideas for ELC and the co-located OpenIoT Summit here.
The first LF event of the year is the Open Source Leadership Summit, formerly the Linux Collaboration Summit, to be held Feb. 14-16 in Lake Tahoe, Calif. As usual, it’s an invitation-only event for “thought leaders,”
says the LF.
“Our events are unique in that all proceeds are channeled directly back into the technical communities that these gatherings support, driving future collaboration,” stated Jim Zemlin, executive director at The Linux Foundation.
The Linux Foundation’s 2017 Schedule of Events:
- Open Source Leadership Summit — Feb. 14-16, Lake Tahoe, Calif. — invitation-only think tank for open source software and collaborative development thought leaders
- Embedded Linux Conference and OpenIoT Summit North America — Feb. 21-23, Portland, Oreg. — now in its 12th year
- Linux Storage Filesystem and Memory Management Summit — Mar 20- 21, Cambridge, Mass. — invitation-only workshop for development and research experts and kernel subsystem maintainers
- Vault — Mar. 22-23, Cambridge, Mass. — file systems and storage conference for developers and users
- CloudNativeCon + KubeCon Europe — Mar. 29-30, Berlin, Germany — European version of big Cloud Native Computing Foundation (CNCF) event
- Open Networking Summit — April 3-6, Santa Clara, Calif. — SDN and NFV developments that will shape the future of the networking industry
- ApacheCon North America with Apache Big Data North America — May 16-18, Miami, Fla. — all about Apache-hosted open source projects including Big Data projects
- Open Source Summit Japan — May 31 – June 2, Tokyo, Japan — Japanese versions of LinuxCon, ContainerCon and CloudOpen
- Automotive Linux Summit — June 1-2, Tokyo, Japan — AGL event overlaps with Open Source Summit Japan
- OPNFV Summit — June 12-15, Beijing, China — all about open source Network Functions Virtualization (NFV).
- Cloud Foundry Summit Silicon Valley — June 13-15, Santa Clara, Calif. — the premier event for enterprise app developers, covering issues like microservices and continuous delivery
- LinuxCon ContainerCon CloudOpen China — June 19-20, Beijing, China — unclear why this isn’t called an Open Source Summit
- Open Source Summit North America — Sep. 11-13, Los Angeles, Calif. — LF’s biggest event, combining LinuxCon, ContainerCon, CloudOpen, and the new Community Leadership Conference
- Linux Plumbers Conference — Sep. 13-15, Los Angeles, Calif. — workshop on kernel subsystems, core libraries, windowing systems and more, overlapping with Open Source Summit
- Linux Security Summit — Sep. 14-15, Los Angeles, Calif. — tech forum for analyzing and solving Linux security challenges
- MesosCon North America — Sep. 14-15, Los Angeles, Calif — Apache Mesos event co-located with LSS and overlapping with Open Source Summit
- Open Source Summit Europe — Oct. 23-25, Prague, Czech Republic — LinuxCon, ContainerCon, CloudOpen, and the new Community Leadership Conference
- Embedded Linux Conference Europe — Oct. 23 – 25, Prague, Czech Republic – ELCE co-located with Open Source Summit Europe
- KVM Forum — Oct. 25-27, Prague, Czech Republic — Linux virtualization event overlaps with Open Source Summit Europe and ELCE
- Linux Kernel Summit — Oct. 26-27, Prague, Czech Republic — even for leading core kernel developers, following ELCE and KVM Forum
- MesosCon Europe — Oct. 26-27, Prague, Czech Republic — Apache Mesos event co-located with Linux Kernel Summit
- CloudNativeCon + KubeCon North America — Dec. 6-7, Austin, Texas — North American version of big CNCF event
The Linux Foundation events announcement with links to event pages and other CFP deadlines may be found here.