Adlink’s rugged, Linux-friendly “CM1-86DX3” PC/104 SBC is built with DMP’s new dual-core Vortex86DX3 SoC, with 2GB RAM DDR3L and both Fast and GbE Ethernet.
The CM1-86DX3 is the first board we’ve seen to run DMP’s latest Vortex-branded x86 architecture SoC, the Vortex86DX3. Announced in April, the dual-core, 1GHz SoC builds upon the design of the earlier, single-core, 800MHz to 1GHz Vortex86DX2, found on Adlink’s circa-2013 PC/104 board, the CM1-86DX2. The DX3 offers double the L1 and L2 cache of the DX2, and adds support for DDR3 memory.
Adlink CM1-86DX3 SBC
(click images to enlarge)
The Adlink CM1-86DX3 provides the 2GB maximum of DDR3L RAM, soldered to the board, and features both a Gigabit Ethernet port and a 10/100 Ethernet PHY. Otherwise, this is a more limited, more legacy-oriented board than the fairly similar CM1-86DX2. As is the case with most PC/104 form-factor SBCs, there are no real-world coastline I/O ports, only pin interfaces.
The CM1-86DX3 offers full, legacy ISA bus support per PC/104 2.6 specifications, and supports SATA and CFast storage. The SBC is equipped with and VGA and 18/24-bit, single-channel LVDS video interfaces, along with dual USB 2.0 ports, two RS-232/422/485 serial ports, and two RS232 serial ports. There’s also a PS/2 port, and eight GPIO lanes. The only expansion opportunity is through the PC/104 interface.
Block diagrams: CM1-86DX3 SBC (left) and Vortex86DX3 SoC
(click images to enlarge)
The board can withstand 50G shock and 12G vibration per MIL-STD-202F, and supports a 0 to 60°C temperature range. It also features Adlink’s SEMA (Smart Embedded Management Agent) cloud hardware monitoring functionality. Applications for the CM1-86DX3 include industrial automation, transportation, energy, and military applications “requiring industrial-grade stability,” says Adlink.
Specifications listed for the CM1-86DX3 include:
- Processor — DMP Vortex86DX3 SoC (2x x86 cores @ 1GHz); 6-stage pipeline; 32K I-Cache, 32K D-Cache, 513KB L2 Cache; FPU; integrated 2D GPU
- Memory — 2GB soldered DDR3 RAM
- Storage — CFast socket; SATA socket
- Display — VGA; 18/24-bit, single-channel LVDS
- Networking — Gigabit Ethernet; Fast Ethernet
- Other I/O:
- 2x USB 2.0
- 2x RS232/422/485
- 2x RS232
- PS/2 (keyboard and mouse)
- 8x GPIO
- 8x A/D input
- Expansion — PC/104 (ISA compatible)
- Other features — Watchdog; SEMA (timer, temp. monitor, fail-safe BIOS, etc.); optional passive heatsink; optional cable kit
- Power — 5VDC +/-5% ; consumption about 6-7 W
- Shock resistance (non-operating) — 50G peak-to-peak, 11ms duration, MIL-STD-202G Method 213B
- Vibration resistance (operating) — 11.96 Grms, 50-2000 Hz, each axis, MIL-STD-202G Method 214A
- Operating temperature — 0 to 60°C
- Dimensions — 96 x 90mm (3.78 x 3.55 inches); PC/104 2.6 form-factor
- Operating system — Linux; WES7, WES2009, WEC7, Windows CE 6.0 (on request); QNX
No pricing or availability information was provided for the Adlink CM1-86DX3. More information may be found on Adlink’s CM1-86DX3 product page.