[Updated Aug 22] — China-based Ugoos announced a quad-core, HDMI-stick style mini-PC available for a special price of $65 (normally $100). The Ugoos UM2 runs Android 4.2 on a quad-core Rockchip RK3188 ARM Cortex-A9 SoC, offers an HDMI port, WiFi, and Bluetooth 4.0, and provides dual USB 2.0 host ports for external peripheral connection.
Like Rikomagic’s MK802IV HDMI stick computer, the Ugoos UM2 runs Android Jelly Bean on Rockchip’s latest quad-core, RK3188 system-on-chip. Unlike both the Rikomagic, Tronsmart, and most other HDMI dongle computers, however, the Ugoos UM2 offers two USB host ports rather than one, saving the $7 cost and clutter of an extermal USB hub.
Ugoos UM2 Android HDMI-stick mini-PC
(click images to enlarge)
Like its rivals, the 142 x 95 x 21mm (5.60 x 3.74 x 0.83-inch) Ugoos UM2 uses a micro-USB port for power, and consumes less than 10 Watts of power when active. The device is equipped with 2GB of RAM, 8GB of onboard flash, expandable to 32GB, and a microSD slot that could bring total storage to 64GB. An HDMI port is supplied, and wireless features include WiFi, Bluetooth 4.0, and an IR port. The device is said to support PPoE, VPN, hotspot networking and offer full DLNA for media sharing. Its Android 4.2.2 build offers Google Play and XBMC support, among other basic apps.
Ugoos UM2′s embedded electronics
(click image to enlarge)
The RK3188 runs at 1.5GHz or 1.6GHz, depending on two different citations on DealsPrime.com, and features a 500MHz ARM Mali-400 GPU. The same SoC runs on the Tronsmart T428 Android stick computer, which can be had for as low as $74, compared to a low of $80 for the MK802IV. The officially $100 Ugoos UM2 has them both beat on price, at least temporarily, with a special price of $65 at DealsPrime.com. (Click the image at the right to view the Rockchip RK3188′s block diagram.)
Specifications listed for the Ugoos UM2 include:
- Processor — Rockchip RK3188 (4x Cortex-A9 cores @ 1.5GHz or 1.6GHz); Mali 400 GPU
- 2GB DDR3
- 8GB NAND flash, expandable to 16GB or 32GB
- MicroSD slot for up to 32GB
- Wireless — 802.11b/g/n; Bluetooth 4.0; IR transceiver (via 2.5mm input connector)
- HDMI 1.3, supporting 1080p video output
- 2x USB host
- Micro-USB host (power)
- Optional accessories — 2.4GHz Air Mouse; 2.4GHz wireless mouse and keyboard; wireless remote; 10-port USB hub, HDMI cable, USB cable
- Consumption — less than 10W
- Included power supply — 90-230V 50/60Hz; 5V/2A output
- Operating temperature — -10 to 40℃
- Weight — 44 g
- Dimensions — 142 x 95 x 21mm (5.60 x 3.74 x 0.83 inches)
- Operating system — Android 4.2