DVEO will debut a 40 channel real-time video transcoder, scaler, and streamer device for OTT and IPTV applications at NAB 2013 in Las Vegas next week. The Linux-powered “MPEG Magnus MF” is designed to deliver a broad range of multimedia formats to smartphones, tablets, laptops, and IP-enabled TVs and set-top boxes.
According to DVEO, the MPEG Magnus MF is intended for use by broadcasters, content providers, and cable companies, and mobile operators.
MPEG Magnus MF content sources and destinations
(click to enlarge)
DVEO says the device offers multiprotocol, multiresolution, and multiwrapper support, including RTMP, RTSP, RTMP, HTTP, Smooth, and Live Streaming, and can create simultaneous high, medium, low bitrate streams, as well as real-time broadcast quality MPEG. It can transcode up to 20 720p HD streams, 10 1080i/p HD streams, or 40 SD streams from MPEG-2 to H.264, and for satellite input (DVB-S/S2), it can see 200 satellite streams and transcode up to 40 SD streams.
Key features of the MPEG Magnus MF, as listed by DVEO, include:
- Intel Dual 8 Core processor, functions as an accelerator.
- Supports HTTP adaptive Smooth and Live streaming protocol for output to mobile devices
- Capable of near real time FTP output of segmented TS streams with I-Frame boundaries
- Inputs — simultaneous choices from HD-SDI, SDI, DVB-S, DVB-S2, 8VSB, QAM (digital or analog), DVB-C, DVB-T, DVB-T2, DVB-ASI, analog, or GigE and IP (H.264, MPEG-2, or VC-1)
- Outputs: Multiple simultaneous IP streams (MPEG-2 or H.264) — HTTP Live (HLS), HTTP, UDP, RTP, RTSP, multicast and unicast with transport stream envelope, HTTP Smooth, FTP, RTMP (Open Flash), or WMV9 with HTTP/ASF
- Supports M3u8 playlist files (standalone and through HTTP Live)
- Transcoding bit rates — .1 to 15 Mbps
- Creates simultaneous high, medium, and low bitrate streams
- Resolutions — qHD, H.264up, SQVGA, QCIF, QVGA, CIF, or any custom size up to 1080p
- Simultaneous demodulation, transcoding, and encapsulation
- Transcodes up to 20 720p HD streams, or 10 1080i/p HD streams, or 40 SD streams from MPEG-2 to H.264 or vice-versa
- Audio formats — AAC, embedded pass-through, Ogg Vorbis, MPEG-1 Layer II, optional MP3, and/or optional “SurCode for Dolby Digital” AC-3
- Web-based GUI with SNMP support for remote access.
- Tested for compatibility with…
- Wowza, Adobe Flash, and RealNetworks Helix servers
- Major brands of IP devices, including Amino, Roku, Atlanta DTH, and Apple iPad and iPhone
- Major brands of H.264 decoders
According to DVEO, the device is typically deployed in “closed” systems where bandwidth is dedicated. Since its performance depends on available bandwidth, the company does not guarantee it to work over the public Internet.
The MPEG Magnus MF is priced at $17,000. Various standard and customized versions are also available. For further information, visit DVEO’s website.