Congatec AG announced a Linux-ready COM Express Type 6 computer-on-module (COM) based on AMD’s new Embedded G-Series system-on-chip (SOC). The Conga-TCG is offered in two quad- and two dual-core versions backed with up to 8GB of DDR3 RAM, and features extensive I/O, including HDMI, DisplayPort, SATA, and 10 USB ports.
AMD announced its new Embedded G-Series SOC line just last week. The G-Series SOC uses a faster new “Jaguar” core, fabricated with a 28nm process, featuring twice the shared L2 cache at 2MB. In addition to providing a faster new Radeon 8400 series GPU, the G-Series SOC for the first time integrates the Fusion I/O controller on the same die. All of this is said to enable much faster performance and a smaller physical footprint while adding only slightly to the power consumption (9-25 Watt TDP).
The 95 x 95mm Conga-TCG module is available in all the G-Series SOC versions except for the one AMD SOC model that lacks a GPU. Options include both quad-core (2.0GHz or 1.5GHz) and dual-core (1.65GHz and 1GHz) SOCs. The COMs are aimed primarily at “cost-sensitive visualization and control applications,” says Congatec.
Congatec Conga-TCG COM Express module
(click image to enlarge)
The Conga-TCG supports up to 8GB of DDR3 RAM, and offers up to two independent displays with options including 18/24bit LVDS, DisplayPort 1.2, and HDMI 1.4. In addition, the DisplayPort’s multi-streaming capability lets users “control up to two displays per graphics port in daisy chain mode,” says the company.
I/O made available through the Com Express Type 6 connector includes four PCI Express (PCIe) x1 lanes for expansion, as well as two USB 3.0 ports, eight USB 2.0 ports, and two SATA ports. Other I/O includes LPC, I2C, SPI, SD, and SMBus. A gigabit Ethernet controller is also available.
Specifications listed for the Conga-TCG include:
- AMD Embedded G-Series processor options (all include AMD Radeon HD 8400 GPU and Fusion I/O controller):
- GX-420CA — quad-core 2GHz, 2MB L2 cache; 25W TDP
- GX-415GA — quad-core 1.5GHz, 2MB L2 cache; 15W TDP
- GX-217GA — dual-core 1.65GHz, 2MB L2 cache; 15W TDP
- GX-210HA — dual-core 1GHz, 2MB L2 cache; 9W TDP
- Memory — up to 8GB DDR3L-1600
- Display — DDI (DisplayPort 1/2/HDMI 1.4); 18/24-bit LVDS (single/dual channel, up to 1920 x 1200)
- Networking — GbE
- Storage — 2x SATA 3Gb/s
- USB — 2x USB 3.0; 8x USB 2.0
- Other I/O — HD audio; optional TPM; ACPI 3.0 power management
- Expansion buses — 4x PCIe 2.0; LPC bus; I2C bus; SPI; SD; SMBus
- Operating temp. — 0 to 60° C
- Dimensions — 95 x 95mm (3.74 x 3.74 inches); COM Express Type 6
- Operating system — Linux and Windows (7/8; 7/8 Embedded Standard; 7 Embedded Compact)
Accessories include a compatible Conga-FPA2 flat-panel adapter board, a Conga-LDVI DVI/LVDS converter module, and the Conga-TEVAL evaluation carrier board for all Congatec COM Express modules (shown below).
Congatec Conga-TEVAL carrier board
(click image to enlarge)
The 294 x 244mm Conga-TEVAL board offers a wide range of display interfaces, including dual HDMI and dual DisplayPort links, as well as four SATA ports, and seven USB ports. Among other I/O, the board supplies six PCIe x1 slots, and one PCIe x16, plus a gigabit Ethernet port, and several serial connections.
No pricing or availability information was supplied for the Conga-TCG module. More information may be found at Congatec’s Conga-TCG product page. More on the evaluation board may be found at the Conga-TEVAL product page.