Congatec announced two Linux-ready Type 6 COM Express computer-on-modules based on Intel’s 4th Generation Core (“Haswell”) processors. The more compact Conga-TC87 supports Intel’s higher-integration, lower-power embedded processors, while the larger Conga-TS87 offers more PCI Express lanes and USB 3.0 ports, and higher performance graphics including PEG compatibility.
Congatec unveiled the larger “Basic” sized (3.75 x 4.92-inch) Conga-TS87 back in June, shortly after Intel’s 4th Generation “Haswell” Core processors were unveiled. The 22nm Haswell generation averages about 15 percent faster than “Ivy Bridge” Core processors, according to Intel, and features as much as 50 percent lower power consumption.
Conga-TC87 and -TS87 COMs
(click images to enlarge)
The Conga-TS87 was introduced with support for only one processor: the quad-core Intel Core i7-4700EQ. Now, in conjunction with announcing the smaller “Compact” sized (3.74 x 3.74-inch) Conga-TC87 COM Express module, Congatec has expanded the Conga-TS87′s processor options to include four dual-core processors, including Core i5 and i3 models such as the Core i3-4100E (25W TDP).
Architecturally, the new Conga-TC87 differs from the -TS87 in that it is designed with Intel’s embedded-oriented 4th-Generation processors chips, which employ single-component (processor+chipset) Haswell models instead of the standard dual-component parts used on the Conga-TS87, as seen in the two modules’ photos and block diagrams.
Conga-TC87 and -TS87 block diagrams
(click images to enlarge)
Whereas the processors supported by the Conga-TS87 range in TDP (Thermal Design Power) from 25 to 47 Watts, using Intel’s optimized Scenario Design Power (SDP) metrics, the -TC87 supports three dual-core, 15 Watt processors the Core i7-465OU, i5-4300U, and i3-4010U.
In addition to having lower TDPs, the Conga-TC87′s processors also offer less advanced Intel HD Graphics. The Conga-TS87′s processors are the only ones to provide advanced video support including MPEG-2 decoding, and support for WMV9 (VC-1), H.264 (AVC) and 40 MBit/s Blu-ray.
Both the Conga-TS87 and -TC87 support up to 16GB of DDR3 RAM. They offer a gigabit Ethernet controller, and support for either seven (TS87) or four (TC87) PCI Express (PCIe) interfaces. Other I/O available via the COM Express Type 6 interface includes four SATA ports, and unlike most Haswell-based COM Express modules, dual ExpressCard interfaces. Additional I/O includes LPC, I2C, eight USB 2.0 ports, and either four (TS87) or two (TC87) USB 3.0 ports.
The two modules also differ on their display support. The Conga-TS87 provides a CRT interface, a PEG (PCI Express Graphics) interface for driving an external high performance graphics controller, and three DisplayPorts. In contrast, the Conga-TC87 lacks CRT and PEG support, but offers an LVDS interface, and also supplies three ports that can either be configured as DisplayPort or HDMI.
Specifications for the Conga-TS87 and -TC87 modules include:
- Processor — Intel 4th Generation Core processors (22nm “Haswell”) with QM87 chipsets:
- Core i7-4700EQ — quad-core 2.4GHz, 6MB L2 cache, 47W TDP, Intel HD Graphics 4600 @ 400MHz
- Core i5-4400E — dual-core 2.7GHz, 3MB L2, 37 W, Intel HD Graphics 4600 @ 400MHz
- Core i5-4402E — dual-core 1.6GHz, 3MB L2, 25 W, Intel HD Graphics 4600 @ 400MHz
- Core i3-4100E — dual-core 2.4GHz, 3MB L2, 37 W, Intel HD Graphics 4600 @ 400MHz
- Core i3-4102E — dual-core 1.6GHz, 3MB L2, 25 W, Intel HD Graphics 4600 @ 400MHz
- Core i7-4650U — dual-core 1.7GHz, 4M Cache, 15W, Intel HD Graphics 5000 @ 200MHz
- Core i5-4300U — dual-core 1.9GHz, 3M Cache, 15W, Intel HD Graphics 4400 @ 200MHz
- Core i3-4010U — dual-core 1.7GHz, 3M Cache, 15W, Intel HD Graphics 4400 @ 200MHz
- Memory — up to 16GB DDR3 (at up to 1600MHz) via 2x SODIMM sockets
- TC87 — 4x PCIe
- TS87 — 7x PCIe
- 3x DisplayPort
- CRT RAMDAC (@3 350MHz) for up to QXGA
- 3 x TMDS (HDMI) / DisplayPort 1.2a with daisy chaining
- LVDS 2×24
- Networking — Intel I217-LM gigabit Ethernet controller with AMT 9.5
- Other I/O (via COM Express Type 6 interface):
- 4x SATA
- 2x ExpressCard
- 2x (TC87) or 4x USB 3.0 (TS87)
- 8x USB 2.0
- LPC bus
- I2C bus
- HD audio interface
- Other features — optional TPM; ACPI 4.0; BIOS with AMI Aptio UEFI & 8MB SPI flash); Congatec board controller (multi-stage watchdog)
- Operating temperature — 0 to 60° C
- TS87 — 125 x 95mm (4.92 x 3.74 inches; COM Express Type 6 “Basic”)
- TC87 — 95 x 95mm (3.74 x 3.74 inches; COM Express Type 6 “Compact”)
- Operating system — Linux, Windows 8/7/Embedded Standard
Both the Conga-TC87 and -TS87 COMs will be available in the fourth quarter for around $700 each at quantity one, or around $600 in (unspecified) OEM volumes, says Congatec. More information may be found at the Conga-TC87 and Conga-TS87 product pages, respectively.