Cadia Networks announced a Mini-ITX motherboard that runs embedded Linux or Android on a 1.2GHz ARM Cortex-A8 Freescale i.MX53 SOC (system-on-chip) and features 12 onboard serial ports. The MIT-5500 is equipped with 1GB of DDR3 RAM and up to 4GB NAND flash, and offers dual display HD video on VGA, HDMI, or LVDS displays.
The MIT-5500 SBC (single-board computer) is targeted at a variety of display-oriented applications, including data acquisition, point of sale, telematics, digital signage, industrial automation, building controls, and connected appliances, says Cadia.
Cadia Networks MIT-5500
Adhering to the 6.7 x 6.7-inch Mini-ITX form-factor, the SBC is built around Freescale’s i.MX53, a venerable Cortex-A8 SOC, which now clocks at up to 1.2GHz.
Freescale i.MX53 SOC family block diagram
(click image to enlarge)
Onboard video acceleration is said to enable 1080p playback and 780p recording. The MIT-5500 supports dual displays via the coastline’s VGA port, as well as HDMI and 24-bit dual channel LVDS interfaces. A 4-wire touchscreen controller is also available.
MIT-5500 external connectors
The MIT-5500 is limited to 1GB of DDR3 RAM, but features 4GB of bootable NAND flash. An SD slot is also available on the board’s coastline, along with an internal SATA II interface for storage. A mini-PCI Express (PCIe) interface and a SIM slot enable peripheral expansion. Other coastline ports include two of the four available full-sized USB 2.0 ports as well as a mini-USB OTG port. There are also two 10/100 Ethernet ports, and an audio port.
Internal onboard interfaces include 12 RS232 ports, as well as RS-232/422/485 interface. Dual CAN bus interfaces are also provided, although Cadia at one point refers to these as optional. Cadia touts the SBC’s wide 9 to 24 Volt DC input range.
Specifications listed for the MIT-5500 include:
- Processor — Freescale i.MX53 (ARM Cortex-A8), up to 1.2GHz
- Memory — 1GB DDR3 RAM; 4GB iNAND flash
- Storage — SD slot; SATA II port
- Display — VGA port (coastline); HDMI; 24-bit dual channel LVDS; dual display support
- Expansion — Mini-PCIe; SIM slot
- Networking — 2x fast Ethernet ports (coastline)
- Other I/O:
- 4x USB 2.0 (2x coastline)
- Mini-USB OTG (coastline)
- 12x RS-232
- 2x CAN (optional)
- 40-bit GPIO
- Audio line-in, line-out, mic-in
- 4-wire touchscreen controller
- Keypad (4×4 matrix)
- Power — +9 to +24VDC input
- Operating temperature — 0 to 60° C
- Dimensions — 170 x 170mm (Mini-ITX)
- Operating system — Linux2.6, Android, Windows Embedded Compact 7
Although specific pricing and availability details for the SBC were not disclosed, requests for quotes may be submitted via Cadia’s MIT-5500 product page.