Axiomtek’s compact PICO843 SBC runs Linux on Celeron SoCs and offers four USB ports, two COM ports, dual mini-PCIe sockets, and wide temperature operation.
The PICO843 single board computer is very similar to Axiomtek’s recent, Pico-ITX form-factor PICO840 except that it has quad- (J1900) or dual-core (N2807) Intel Celerons instead of Atoms from the same 22nm Bay Trail generation. The other key difference is that it lacks real-world coastline ports, much like the similarly Pico-ITX, circa-2013 PICO822, which offered an Atom E6xx. Out of the box, it looks more like a COM (see images directly below), although you can also trick it out with ports, a heatsink, and other components, as shown in the assembly views farther below.
PICO843, front and back
(click images to enlarge)
The PICO843 is ideal for in-vehicle PCs, medical imaging, gaming, in-flight entertainment systems, industrial automation systems, and portable devices, says Axiomtek. Although no OS support was listed in the board’s specs, we are confident the board runs Linux, since Axiomtek normally qualifies its SBCs for operation under Ubuntu, CentOS, Red Hat, and Debian Linux, plus Windows 7/8/8.1 and WES7/8.
PICO843 assembly views
(click image to enlarge)
Other differences between the PICO843 and PICO840 are that the PIOCO843 lacks the latter’s HDMI port, and it has a slightly lesser resistance to cold weather, offering -20 to 70°C support. On the other hand, it adds TPM support and a second mini-PCIe slot.
PICO843 front and back detail views
(click images to enlarge)
You can load up to 8GB of DDR3L RAM on the board and communicate with a Gigabit Ethernet port equipped with wake-on LAN and PXE boot. VGA and LVDS are available, along with audio I/O, four USB 2.0 ports, dual RS-232/422/485 ports, and a SATA-300 connection
Specifications listed for the PICO843 include:
- Processor — Intel Celeron J1900 (4x Bay Trail cores @ 2.00GHz to 2.42GHz Turbo; 10W TDP) or Celeron N2807 (2x Bay Trail cores @ 1.16GHz, 5W TDP
- Memory — up to 8GB DDR3L-1066/1333 RAM via 204-pin SODIMM
- Display — VGA; single/dual channel 18/24-bit LVDS
- Networking — Gigabit Ethernet with wake-on LAN, PXE boot (Intel i211AT)
- Other I/O:
- 4x USB 2.0
- 2x RS-232/422/485
- SATA-300 port
- HD line-out, mic-in audio (Realtek ALC662)
- 2x Mini-PCIe slot (1x full size with mSATA, 1x half size)
- Other features — Watchdog; hardware monitoring; TPM 1.2; power and reset buttons
- +12V DC-in only
- AT Auto Power On support
- Lithium battery
- Max. consumption: 0.9A (J1900) or 0.7A (N2807) with 4GB RAM
- Operating temperature — -20 to 70°C; optional heatspreader and heatsink
- Dimensions — 100 x 72 x 1.6mm; Pico-ITX
No pricing or availability information was provided for the PICO843. More information may be found on Axiomtek’s PICO843 product page.