Embest is accepting pre-orders for a $99 single-board computer (SBC) based on a 1GHz dual-core Freescale i.MX6 ARM Cortex-A9 system-on-chip (SOC). The compact “MarS Board” provides interfaces for Gig-Ethernet, high-speed USB, HDMI, camera, and more, and it’s supported with ready-to-use embedded Linux and Android OS images.
The MarS Board’s small size (100 x 65 mm) precludes fitting “real-world” style connectors for all interfaces directly on-board. Consequently, it provides a pair of 24-pin female header connectors topside, into which various adapters can be plugged in order to access all the board’s features (see photo and block diagram down below).
Embest’s $99 MarS Board, top and bottom
Embest lists these features and specifications for the MarS Board:
- Processor — Freescale i.MX6 Dual ARM Cortex-A9 SOC containing:
- 2 ARM cores, clocked at 1GHz
- NEON SIMD media accelerator
- HD-class 1080p encode/decode video engine
- 2D+3D hardware graphics accelerators (3 GPUs)
- 1GB DDR3 SDRAM
- 4GB eMMC flash
- 2MB SPI flash
- Onboard connectors for…
- TF card interface
- Video outputs — HDMI 1.4a; LVDS; 24-bit RGB LCD I/F
- USB — 1x USB2.0 OTG (480Mbps); 2 x USB2.0 Host (480Mbps)
- Serial Port — 1x RS232 debug port
- Ethernet — 10M/100M/1G bps
- Functions available via dual 24-pin expansion headers:
- Camera interface
- Audio — SP/DIF; AUDMUX (Digital Audio Multiplexer); GPMI (General Purpose Memory I/F); ESAI (Enhanced Serial Audio Interface)
- Keyboard port
- USDHC1 (Ultra Secured Digital Host Controller)
- Misc. serial I/O — SPI; 2x I2C; PWM, 4x UARTs; 2x Canbus
- Dimensions — 65 x 102 mm
- Power — 5VDC @ 4A
- Operating temp — 0 to 70° C
The board’s block diagram appears below.
Embest MarS Board block diagram
(click to enlarge)
For more detail on what’s inside the SBC’s Freescale dual-core i.MX6 Cortex-A9 SOC, have a look at the SOC’s block diagram, below.
Freescale i.MX6 Dual Cortex-A9 SOC block diagram
(click to enlarge)
Software and hardware options
Embest will support the MarS Board with ready-to-use embedded Linux 3.0.15 and Android 4.0.4 OS images. Additionally, the company says it can supply a demo version of uC/OS-II V2.92.05 for the SBC.
Hardware add-ons for the MarS Board will include a series of expansion options, including a USB WiFi module, an HDMI-to-VGA converter module, and 4.3- and 7-inch TFT LCD touchscreen displays.
For additional information or to pre-order a MarS Board, visit Embest’s website, here.