Geniatech’s “Development Board IV” is a 96Boards-like SBC that runs Android or Debian on a Snapdragon 410, and features 40- and 60-pin expansion connectors.
Linaro’s 96Boards spec has taken off to the point that we’re beginning to see clones and near-clones that are not yet sanctioned by 96Boards.org with an official mark of compliance, as in the case of Fujitsu’s 96Boards CE compatible F-Cue SBC. In the case Geniatech’s Development Board IV, there is not even a mention of 96Boards. The SBC, which is also referred to as Developer Board 4 and DB4, has 96Boards-like 40- and 60-pin connectors, and a feature set that is very similar to that of Qualcomm/Arrow’s DragonBoard 410c.
Development Board IV
(click images to enlarge)
The Development Board IV measures 85 x 60mm — a bit wider than the 85 x 54mm DragonBoard 410c, which uses the 96Boards Consumer Edition (CE) spec. It’s considerably smaller than the 100 x 85mm 96Boards CE Extended spec, as seen in the eInfochips/Arrow SD 600eval, another board not found on the 96Boards compliance page. Unlike the DragonBoard 410c, there are no claims of open source licensing, nor does set-top box and TV tuner maker Geniatech offer community support.
Compared to the DragonBoard 410c, the Development Board IV adds 10/100 Ethernet and MIPI-DSI, and it offers an option for doubling RAM and flash to 2GB and 16GB, respectively. It also widens the temperature range to -25 to 70°C.
Another view of the Development Board IV
(click image to enlarge)
Otherwise it’s almost identical to the DragonBoard 410c, running Android 5.1, Debian, or Windows 10 IoT Core on Qualcomm’s quad-core Cortex-A53 Snapdragon 410. You also get HDMI and MIPI-CSI connections, dual USB 2.0 host ports, wide-range power, and extensive wireless functionality, among other features.
Specifications listed for the Board IV include:
- Processor — Qualcomm Snapdragon 410 (4x Cortex-A53 cores @ up to 1.2GHz); Qualcomm Adreno 306 GPU
- 1GB or 2GB LPDDR3 533MHz RAM
- 8GB or 16GB eMMC 5.0
- MicroSD slot
- Multimedia I/O:
- HDMI 1.3a port up to 1080p HD playback and capture
- MIPI-DSI (4-lane) at [email protected], or up to [email protected] with optional display/touch
- 2x MIPI-CSI (4/2-lanes) for up to 13-megapixels
- Analog audio via exp. connector with PCM/AAC+/MP3/WMA, ECNS, and optional Audio+ post-processing
- Audio headset, speaker
- 802.11 b/g/n 2.4GHz WiFi
- Bluetooth 4.1 “G2”
- Onboard antennas (WiFi/BT/FM)
- Networking — Fast Ethernet port
- Other I/O:
- 2x USB 2.0 host ports
- Micro-USB 2.0 device port
- 40-pin low speed expansion connector (UART, SPI, I2S, 2x I2C, 12x GPIO, DC)
- 60-pin high speed connector (USB, MIPI-DSI 4-lane, MIPI-CSI 4/2-lane, 2x I2C)
- Optional 16-pin analog expansion connector
- Other features — Power/reset; volume up/down; 7x LEDs (4x user); 5-7 year availability
- Power — 6.5V to 18V
- Operating temperature — -25 to 70°C
- Dimensions — 85 x 60mm
- Operating system — Defaults to Android 5.1; Debian Linux; Windows 10 IoT core
No pricing or availability information was provided for the Development Board IV. More information may be found on Geniatech’s Development Board IV product page.