Reach Technology announced a 7-inch, 800 x 480 pixel Linux touchscreen module for HMI apps, that’s offered in both capacitive and resistive touch models.
We previously covered Reach’s G2C1 touchscreen subsystem, which offers a 4.3-inch, 480 x 272 resolution capacitive or resistive touchscreen, and runs Linux in a mere 128MB of DRAM memory on a 454MHz Freescale i.MX28 SoC. The G2H2 series steps up to a 7-inch, 800 × 480 pixel display that’s similarly offered in capacitive and resistive touch versions. The new, larger module runs Linux on Freescale’s beefier, 1GHz i.MX6Solo SoC, and offers 512MB each of DRAM and flash memory.
Reach G2H2 touchscreen module
(click image to enlarge)
Reach’s pair of 7-inch G2H2 touchscreen modules are essentially identical functionally, electrically, and mechanically. The primary deviation between them is their touch technology (capacitive vs. resistive), which, in turn, results in differing display luminance and viewing angle specs.
G2H2 rear views: capacitive (left) and resistive models
(click images to enlarge)
Reach is targeting its G2H2 touchscreen modules at medical and industrial applications, where they enable easy development of “user interfaces that look like an iPad or iPhone (scrolling, sliding, transparencies, 3D graphics, and animations).” To this end, the company offers development kits that bundle the hardware along with an embedded Linux SDK and support.
G2H2 module dimensions
(click image to enlarge)
The G2H2 modules’ embedded Linux SDK includes a Linux 3.10.17 filesystem, Qt and the QtCreator IDE, GTK+, X11 libraries, a “production quality web server” based on lighttpd (includes CGI and PHP), Samba and SSH servers, and various other components.
Hardware specifications listed by Reach for the pair of G2H2 touchscreen modules include:
- Processor — Freescale i.MX6Solo:
- CPU — 1x ARM9 core @ 1GHMHz
- GPU — 3D graphics engine; hardware video decoder
- Memory — 512MB DDR2 DRAM
- 512MB NAND flash
- 16MB NOR flash
- microSD flash card socket
- 7-inch WVGA (800 x 480) TFT touchscreen
- LED backlight with software controlled brightness
- Touch technology — resistive (4-wire) or projective capacitive
- Luminance — 400 cd/m² (resistive touch) or 610 cd/m² (capacitive touch)
- Viewing angle — 65/65 left/right, 55/65 up/down (resistive touch); 80/80 left/right, 80/80 up/down (capacitive touch)
- Audio Codec with 1W output and onboard speaker
- Networking — 10/100/1000 Mbps Base-T Ethernet
- USB 2.0 — 1x host port; 1x OTG port
- Serial — 1x RS232 port; 1x 3.3V CMOS port
- Other I/O — CAN, I2C, 8-bit GPIO, dedicated Linux console port
- Operating temperature — 0 to 70°C; extended temperate options available
- Passes FCC Class B Emissions without an enclosure
- Thermal, mechanical, vibration test results available
- Dimensions — 6.6 x 4.9 x 0.9 inches
- Weight 425gm
- Power — 5VDC at 970mA max during boot (no devices attached)
- Operating system — embedded Linux or Windows; Qt-based IDE
The Reach G2H2 touchscreen module development kits are available now, priced at $449 (resistive touch model; G2H2-7R) or $499 (capacitive; G2H2-7P). Volume price was not listed. Additional details may be found at the company’s 7-inch modules product page.