Litemax announced a 3.5-inch “AECX-APL0” SBC with Atom E3900 SoCs, up to 4K video, SATA and mSATA, dual mini-PCIe, and extended temperature support.
Earlier this year, Taiwan-based industrial display manufacturer Litemax Electronics acquired embedded board maker WynMax Technologies, and the company has now unveiled its first Intel Apollo Lake based single board computer. The 3.5-inch form factor AECX-APL0, which updates WynMax’s earlier Intel Bay Trail AECX-BYT1 3.5-incher, will “soon” be followed by other boards that run the 14nm-fabricated Atom E3900 Apollo Lake system-on-chips. Other 3.5-inch Apollo Lake SBCs include Advantech’s MIO-5350 and PCM-9366, as well as Aaeon’s GENE-APL5 and Avalue’s ECM-APL.
AECX-APL0, front and back
(click images to enlarge)
The AECX-APL0 supports the three Atom-branded Apollo Lake processors instead of the related Celeron and Pentium models. No OS support is listed, which is also the case for the other Litemax/WynMax embedded boards, which are mostly Mini-ITX boards, with a sprinkling of 3.5-inch SBCs, based on Intel and AMD processors. Running Linux should not be a problem.
The 146 x 102mm AECX-APL0 supports up to 8GB DDR3L RAM, and offers SATA III and mSATA, with the latter made available via one of the two mini-PCIe slots. The other is paired with a micro-SIM for wireless expansion.
AECX-APL0 detail view (left) and angle view
(click images to enlarge)
Dual GbE ports are available along with DP, HDMI, and LVDS display connections. You get two USB 3.0 ports and a RS-232/422/485 port on the rear panel. Inside, there’s USB 2.0, RS-232, audio, and DIO connections. The PS/2 tag on the detail view above appears to be either an option or a mistake, as PS/2 is listed as N/A on the product page. The board has a wide-range 12V to 36V DC input, and is available with two optional extended temperature ranges up to -40 to 70°C.
AECX-APL0 rear panel I/O
(click image to enlarge)
Specifications for the AECX-APL0 include:
- Processor — Intel Atom E3900 “Apollo Lake” series:
- Atom x7-E3950 — 4x cores @ 1.6GHz/2.0GHz, 2MB L2 cache, 12W TDP
- Atom x5-E3940 — 4x cores @ 1.6GHz/1.8GHz, 2MB L2 cache, 9W TDP
- Atom x5-E3930 — 2x cores @ 1.3GHz/1.8GHz, 1MB L2 cache, 6.5W TDP
- Memory — Up to 8GB DDR3L-1866 via 1x SODIMM
- Storage — SATA III (6Gbps) with DOM support; mSATA (via mini-PCIe)
- DisplayPort up to 4096 x 2160 @ 60Hz
- HDMI port up to 3840 x 2160 @ 30Hz
- LVDS up to 1920 x 1200 @ 60Hz
- Multi-display support
- Networking — 2x Gigabit Ethernet ports
- Other I/O:
- 2x USB 3.0 ports
- 4x USB 2.0
- RS-232/422/485 port
- 2x RS-232
- Audio line-in, line-out, mic-in (Realtek ALC662 HD)
- DIO (4x in, 4x out)
- I2C; fan connector
- Expansion — 2x full-size mini-PCIe slots (1x with mSATA, 1x with micro-SIM)
- Other features — Watchdog; EuP/ErP 2013 compliant
- Power — 12V to 36V DC input (AT/ATX modes via jumper)
- Operating temperatures — 0 to 60°C; optional -20 to 70°C or -40 to 70°C
- Dimensions — 146 x 102mm (“3.5-inch form factor”)
The unpriced AECX-APL0 is available “in months,” says Litemax Electronics. More information may be found at the AECX-APL0 product page.